4 Simple Ayurvedic Practices for Daily Detox
You’ve been working hard on your detox, so you want to be sure that the effects of all that effort lasts. Maybe you've also been thinking ahead and want to set yourself up for your next seasonal detox, primed, and ready to release toxins on a deeper level.
If you have never heard of Ayurveda, here's the skinny: Ayurveda translates to 'knowledge of life' or 'science of life'. Ayurveda is to India what Traditional Chinese Medicine is to China. Ayurveda is about living in communion with the shifts of the seasons and the rhythms of the sun and moon throughout the day and year. It is an ancient practice that both supports wellness and recovers health. The principles are universal and can be practiced by anyone with a desire to feel more connected to their health and well-being. Ayurveda offers an entire body of wisdom designed to help people stay vibrant and healthy, and also realize their full potential.
If you are involved in a seasonal detox, you've already begun to practice one of the Ayurvedic principles. Adding these 3 simple daily practices will increase your body's ability to withstand the stresses of daily life, and the toxins you can not help but be affected by. If you haven't already, begin to add these 3 practices into your routine. Do them sequentially, stay with it, and be aware of even the most subtle shifts that start to take place.
1. Banish Bad Breath - Upon rising: eliminate, brush your teeth and scrape your tongue.
Did you know that you will remove more sticky plaque from your mouth with a metal tongue scraper than you will by brushing your teeth? Here's a simple video to show you how it's done. Do this before putting anything into your belly.
2. Rinse Your Belly - By now, you have an understanding that a clean digestive system works so much more efficiently and uses less energy that a clogged up, gummy one. To keep your system clean, start with a clean stomach, drink 16 - 20 ounces of warm water first thing (maybe add some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for added benefit). This has three primary effects for your body:
- #1 Okay, actually it's about 'number two'. It is especially helpful to promote movement and train the body so that will eliminate through the bowel more easily. Do you have to add lemon? No. Will it hurt to add lemon? No. Just make the water body temperature and you will get the greatest benefit.
- #2 Clean pure, warm, body temperature water first thing in the morning will help to clear out any leftovers in the stomach. This way yesterday's food that may not have fully digested will not mix with today's undigested food, kind of like getting a new plate for your breakfast instead of using the dirty one from last night’s dinner.
- #3 It hydrates you! Your body wakes up dehydrated. It's been starved for water for at least 8 hours (hopefully). Because optimally, your body is about 70% water when you start your day with all your internal electrical systems flowing, you will think better. Which means you will make better food choices. Better food choices now mean that your next seasonal detox will release a little more deeply.
3. Oil Up - The daily practice of Abhyanga is a hot oil self-massage. This one practice will nourish your skin and body on a level that is superior to any other skin treatment. Remember, your skin is your largest organ. Once you start the habit, you'll find it doesn't take long to add it to you daily morning routine.
- How to Abhyanga 101
- Warm your oil to body temperature.
- Pour a small amount into your hand and add oil as you need it.
- Massage into hands. Then begin with the neck, working your way down towards your feet, because this is a grounding massage. Long strokes on the bones and circular strokes on the joints. Until you reach the feet.
- When done, get into a hot shower and let the hot water rinse over you. The hot water will open your pores and press the oil into the skin. This is not only nourishing but protective. If you want to use soap, use it on your pits and privates. There is enough chlorine and other detergents in the water to 'clean' you.
- Dry off as you normally would.
These are so simple, easy, and elegant ways of taking care of your body that will promote daily detox in a toxic world. I hope to start to enjoy your morning routine with these tools.
To get email notifications of all my latest material, sign up for my newsletter below. Also, if you are curios about health coaching, what it is, and how it can help you up-level your life, sign up for a free clarity call with me to discuss!