How To Use Meditation To Reduce Your Sugar Cravings
Ditching sugar is no easy feat, and let’s be honest, it can feel like you’re trying to break up with someone who is gorgeous but totally wrong for us. Am I right?
Here’s why: Sugar tastes gooooood. Not only that, it FEELS good, too! When sugary foods hit our tongue, it immediately causes a rush of feel-good hormones (endorphins) surging through our body. Those sugar cravings you experience are not just mental, they’re literally physically. Evolutionarily speaking, your body is supposed to crave sugar. It once helped us survive. But nowadays we are bombarded with a menagerie of sweet temptations at almost every turn. In some recent studies, mice were given the choice of sugar, food, or cocaine. They chose the sugar over the cocaine & food the majority of the time! Crazy right?
The good news is that you can break the cycle. Once you become aware of WHEN and WHY you crave sugar, you can begin to replace sugary foods with healthier alternatives that will provide your body with the same feel-good sensations its craving.
Before I cut sugar out of my diet, I noticed that I was craving sugary treats whenever I was tired, stressed, PMSee, or just needed a boost. Can you relate?
Take note of when you reach for sugar-filled snacks or drinks. Grab a pen and a notebook and jot down answers to the following questions to help you create a better picture of what’s prompting you to consume sweet foods.
Questions I asked myself when I was detoxing from sugar:
· What time of the day are you eating sugar the most?
· How do you feel when you want to eat sugar?
· Do you feel fulfilled?
· Do you feel connected spiritually?
· Are you satisfied with your relationships? Your career? Your finances?
· Are you exercising regularly?
· Do you take time for self-care regularly?
· Are you stressed?
· Do you take time to play and have fun?
Once you’ve taken the time to answer these questions, spend time reflecting on your answers. Which areas of your life would you like to improve?
Visualize the changes you would like to see manifest in your life and set aside time daily to meditate on and journal about those changes. See yourself at the finish line in the full manifestation of your goals.
Here are my tips for meditating to control sugar cravings:
1. Create a peaceful, quiet place where you can sit uninterrupted for at least 15 minutes or more.
2. If you find yourself distracted while attempting to meditate, find relaxing music or a guided meditation that will help you drown out the noise and stay present. Guided meditations are great for beginners. YouTube is a great resource for free visualizations.
3. Be easy on yourself! It’s OK to let thoughts come and go as you sit quietly. The important thing is to become aware of your thoughts and set your intention on the healthy changes you want in your life. Acknowledge the wondering thoughts with love and let them float away with ease.
4. Grab a journal and some pretty pens and write down your thoughts every day. Make it a habit. Don’t overthink what you should or shouldn’t write. Just write down what comes to your mind. Do this for 15 minutes each day to help you dump any negative thoughts that may be blocking you from a healthier lifestyle. I like to do this either 1st thing in the morning or right before bed.
Let's recap quickly...
- get to the root of your cravings with the questions above.
- decide how you want to improve aspects of your life and what those improvements look like.
- meditate/visualize yourself already in the improved state. get creative, get detailed, have fun imagining what the outcome could be.
-be gentle and kind to yourself through this process. take note of when you start to judge yourself.
My intention with this blog is to help you break free from the shackles of sugar and cultivate a manifestation meditation practice in the process. Let me know what you try. Let me know if you are struggling. I am here to support you & help you heal.
Want even more great tips to help you lose weight, improve your digestion, increase your energy and end your sugar addiction once and for all?
Check out my new 6-week Sugar Repair program details here http://drlaramay.com/6-week-vibrant-sugar-repair
In the program, you get a ton of delicious satisfying recipes as well as strategies that will help you let go of the sugar habit, which will help you balance your mood, lose weight, improve your sleep, improve your skin, and so much more!
Or join me on my Facebook page, facebook.com/drlaramay, where I’ll be sharing more information, tips and recipes to help you live a happier, healthier life.
To your wellness,
For more about the right way to add juicing & smoothies into your daily diet check out two of my past blogs...
Also, click the image to the left to download a free smoothie guide to get all the goods to take with you.
Hi! I'm Lara (pronounced like Sarah, but with a L).
Are you ready to lose weight, reduce stress, and reinvigorate your life?!
Together let’s uncover your motivators for change, and turn your vision for your vibrant future into your new reality. Health coaching is a safe supportive process of aligning your dreams with your intentions, and taking small right actions toward reaching attainable goals every week. I am here to gently hold you accountable with action plans, assignments, support and feedback.
Follow Me Here...
Do you want to be constantly counting points or calories? Who has time for that?
Don’t let points, or the scale, determine your success.
It’s time to end the madness. For real!
- SUGAR FREE
- adrenal health
- approach to healing
- approach to well-being
- clean eating
- daily detox
- digestive health
- essential oils
- gluten free
- health coaching
- healthy eating
- mealtime habits
- mindset tools
- stress relief
- weight loss