Adrenal Health 101
What are adrenal glands and where are they located?
Your adrenal glands play a very important role in maintaining your health. They are incredibly small, about the size and weight of a coin. They are located above your kidneys, just below the muscle tissue of your lower back.
What do adrenal glands do?
Our adrenal glands are responsible for many things that assist in regulating our body systems and hormones, including thyroid and reproductive hormones. They are also responsible for managing stress, the amount of inflammation in our body, our immune system, our blood sugar levels and the electrolytes in our blood. They influence all the physiological functions processes of the body and help stave off physical fatigue.
Signs your adrenal health is in need of a boost
When there is something wrong with our body, it will start to signal us that something needs to be addressed. Here is how your adrenal glands will signal you that something might be going wrong.
1. Your blood sugar level will either drop or spike suddenly.
2. Your hormones will be all over the place. One moment you are happy and the other moment you will find yourself crying over something that does not even bother you that much.
3. You get sick more often because your immune system will not function properly without healthy adrenal glands.
4. You will be stressed and it will be hard for you to manage your stress levels.
5. Your sex drive will decrease.
6. It will be hard for you to complete your daily tasks because those tasks will require a lot more effort than usual.
7. You will find it hard to keep yourself awake even if you know that you need to sacrifice sleep for a very important task.
8. You will constantly crave food, mostly salty and savory foods, and it will be hard you satisfy your cravings. You will find yourself craving them more even if you have just eaten something.
9. Your body will take longer to heal properly.
10. You will fail to find happiness or excitement in tasks and hobbies that you enjoyed before.
11. You may find yourself skipping meals.
How to improve your adrenal health
If you suspect your adrenal glands may need some care and attention, try some of the following tips.
1. Get your sleep schedule in sync:
Make sure that you get quality sleep for 8 to 10 hours. Sleep and wake up at the same times to get your body in a rhythm. It needs to follow a routine to start to heal.
2. Daily exercise:
Set aside at least 30 minutes a day for exercise, no matter how busy or tired you may be. Gentle is better.
3. Add these to your diet:
To improve your adrenal health, add proteins, healthy carbs, zinc, calcium, and vitamins (especially C and D) to your diet. Also increase foods like coconuts, avocados, olives, chia seeds, bone broth, nuts, vegetables and fish, but make sure you do all of this in moderation.
I hope this post finds you happy and healthy. But if any of the above rang true, maybe it’s time to seek out some help to get you back on track.
Join me on my Facebook page,facebook.com/drlaramay, as well as Instagram & Twitter @drlaramay. Also, be sure to tune into my podcast on your favorite platform, iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Podbean or Anchor.Fm @Light Body Radio to get all the juicy info coming your way in a easily digestible format. I look forward to hearing your feedback, comments and suggestions.
- Dr. Lara
CLAIM YOUR ZEN.
Ready to take a fresh new lease on life? Let’s do it.
Grab your FREE guide & experience all of this:
- A renewed mind and spirit
- A fresh and awakened energy
- A more focused you at work and at home
Say YES to yourself, and grab this FREE guide NOW
Follow Me Here...
Hi! I'm Lara (pronounced like Sarah, but with a L).
Are you ready to lose weight, reduce stress, and reinvigorate your life?!
Together let’s uncover your motivators for change, and turn your vision for your vibrant future into your new reality. Health coaching is a safe supportive process of aligning your dreams with your intentions, and taking small right actions toward reaching attainable goals every week. I am here to gently hold you accountable with action plans, assignments, support and feedback.
Release what is holding you back, get unstuck & gain clarity for yourself!
Do you want to be constantly counting points or calories? Who has time for that?
Don’t let points, or the scale, determine your success.
It’s time to end the madness. For real!
- SUGAR FREE
- adrenal health
- approach to healing
- approach to well-being
- clean eating
- crystal bed
- daily detox
- digestive health
- essential oils
- functional medicine
- gluten free
- group coaching
- health coaching
- healthy eating
- mealtime habits
- mindset tools
- stress relief
- weight loss